[PD] pduino rewrite

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Sep 15 17:48:16 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 10:20 +0200, Ingo wrote:
> > Interesting. How did you quantify the amount of message transfers? What
> > makes it differ so much, like you say?
>
> I simply (roughly) counted the numbers of objects the calculation including
> all sub processes have to pass until you get the final result.
> (Unfortunately I cannot tell how heavy each of these calculations is
> compared to another one.)
>
> I started this a while ago since I am running my machines always at the very
> limit that they can handle. Which is why I started cutting down the number
> of processes needed to get something done wherever possible. Saving 20% of
> the calculations in a machine that's at the limit can make quite a
> difference. Of course it's the audio processes that are heavier than the
> control processes.
>
> I remember a discussion here a while ago about how heavy the actual message
> transfer is. So keeping calculations as simple and straight forward all of
> the time will keep the machines from getting overloaded earlier than
> necessary. Which again reminds me that I have to redo lots of old stuff for
> efficiency - never ending story!
>
> Ingo

If you want efficiency in this object, you should implement it in C.
That should not be hard to do since the Firmata code is C++, but coded
mostly in a C style.  So you can get all of the parsing and message
generating code from Firmata.cpp and StandardFirmata.pde, and make a
compiled object out of it.

And Ingo, if you implement a fixed the [debytemask] approach, I'll
included it in the Pduino arduino.pd.