[PD] pduino rewrite

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Sep 15 19:19:01 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 18:43 +0200, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 11:36 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah, exactly. I would like to be able to install [arduino] also on a
> > > plain Pd-vanilla setup with the least amount of additional effort.
> > > [comport] will always be needed, of course.
> >
> > Well, now you can and trivially install all but one of the dependencies
> > for 'puredata' aka Pd vanilla using:
> >
> > apt-get install pd-cyclone pd-mapping pd-zexy
> >
> > Only moocow is missing.  I'd bet it'll be much less work to package
> > moocow then to rewrite and manage a fork of arduino.pd.
>
> I'm not sure about this, but I mostly agree with you. When packaging
> arduino as a pd-lib.deb, it would be trivial to add the dependencies.
>
> However, I find I found some rather ugly stuff inside [arduino] that I
> definitely wanted to get rid of, such as [prepend] from cyclone.

I think that prepend works better, that's why.  No need for [list trim].
With cyclone/prepend being in Pd-extended and Debian, it doesn't seem
like too hard a thing to install it when you need it.  I'm open to being
proven wrong on cyclone's prepend working better.

> On the long run, I don't see the point in having two different [arduino]
> classes to be maintained. If at some point, improvements of both can be
> merged to one class, I'm all for it. Even if it means re-adding some
> externals. But for stuff that is very trivial to do with vanilla
> classes, I don't see the point in using externals. And no, I really
> don't think that adds a lot of maintenance load to the class.

Maintenance is one part of it, another is so that you don't have to
copy-n-paste subpatches in cases like multiple [debytemask]s, you just
make as many instances as you need.

Another good reason is that there are useful bits of code developed
while writing the arduino.pd object, why not share them as objects?