[PD] stop sample playback when phasor~ reset?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 20:59:44 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----

That depends on how one uses [phasor~].  In the example above the initial
ramp must start on a block boundary-- whatever is triggering [del <time>] must
also send the relevent frequency to [phasor~] for playing the sound stored in the
array.  Those actions must happen with control objects, which means they will
affect the signal objects at the beginning of the next block.

However, for the ramp at the end of playback [phasor~] as used above can
produce a ramp that begins/ends in the middle of a block ( [vline~] too),
whereas [line~] cannot.  Of course I'm just talking about situations implied
by the example above, where the user is just triggering events sporadically
using control objects.  Neither [line~] nor [vline~] will trigger a ramp in the
middle of the current block, so if you're rule is "IF sample playback THEN
[vline~] > [line~]" there are probably times you're wasting cpu.

The first paragraph of
3.audio.examples/C04.control.to.signal.pd
spells it out pretty well.

-Jonathan