[PD] [PD-dev] removing path and libs from Pd-extended preferences GUI

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 20 21:41:13 CEST 2011

Le 2011-09-20 à 13:30:00, Charles Henry a écrit :

> Sorry-I'm a bit confused as to the difference between libs and paths,
> at the moment.

The libdir system introduced by pd-extended removed much of the
difference.

Still, one can use Paths to specify default locations for looking for
sound files and image files, and that is one reason why libs and paths
still have to remain distinct and why paths have to be saved.

> Here's a situation where I like to have the path dialog:
> I download an archive of abstractions (like RJDJ), and I'd like to be
> able to put them anywhere, so if there's a couple different versions,
> I can just tell them apart from folders.
>
> With the path dialog, I can just right away see what set of
> abstractions are on the path, change it, apply, and get to work.

Libs that are folders are looked for in the Path, thus if you don't say
«-lib /home/chenry/foo-4.2/foo», you can instead say «-path
/home/chenry/foo-4.2 -lib foo», and then if you have
«/home/chenry/foo-4.3/foo» as well, you only need replace the path item,
not the lib item.