[PD] obscuring voices while maintaining intelligibility

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Thu Sep 22 11:29:09 CEST 2011

On 21/09/2011 22:44, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I'm trying to come up with a simple voice scrambling technique that
> leaves voices understandable, but makes them unrecognizable.  A key part
> of this is to make it very hard to reverse the scrambling to make the
> voice more recognizable.

Ineresting. Also these possible approaches come to mind:

- Trivial, probably off-topic: use a TTS. Only thing that is
recognisable is the software which produced it.
- Use some sort of granulation with random pitch-shifting. Not sure how
easily reversible this would be.

A fun thing might be mix the two: that is start from a TTS and then feed
it into the granular... Here a silly example made with Festival TTS and
granulation in Granita (the first sentence is the 'original' produced by
Fesival) with different settings and degrees of recognisability:

http://lorenzosu.altervista.org/temp/dump/voice01.ogg

Lorenzo