[PD] obscuring voices while maintaining intelligibility

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Sep 22 20:32:58 CEST 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 2:19 PM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> On 09/22/2011 07:15 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> Ineresting. Also these possible approaches come to mind:
>>>
>>> - Trivial, probably off-topic: use a TTS. Only thing that is
>>> recognisable is the software which produced it.
>>> - Use some sort of granulation with random pitch-shifting. Not sure
>>> how easily reversible this would be.
>>>
>>> A fun thing might be mix the two: that is start from a TTS and then
>>> feed it into the granular... Here a silly example made with Festival
>>> TTS and granulation in Granita (the first sentence is the 'original'
>>> produced by Fesival) with different settings and degrees of
>>> recognisability:
>>>
>>> http://lorenzosu.altervista.org/temp/dump/voice01.ogg
>>
>> That sound has a lot of nice examples, can you share the patch for
>> that?
>
> I was using my own Granita [1] which also has a "play" gadget.
>
>> text-to-speech is interesting, but that requires speech-to-text,
>> which
>> is error prone and not something you can easily run in realtime on a
>> phone while processing video. Granular can be heavy too,
>
> True, I hadn't thought you were on resources budget, but indeed you
> had mentioned CPU usage, Granita for ex.. is quite hungry, although
> you can lower it's demands (see README). I don't think it would run
> on a phone.. never tried though.
>
> Lorenzo.
>
> [1] http://lorenzosu.altervista.org/pd/granita/\

Granita looks quite nice and polished.  You should add it to the
puredata.info downloads as an app.  Here's how:

http://puredata.info/docs/sitedocs/AddingYourProjectToDownloads

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody
gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -
Admiral Gene LeRocque