[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Richie Cyngler glitchpop at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 09:16:23 CEST 2011

Hey Marvin,

If you drag select an object or group of objects you can use the "nudge"
functionality with cursor keys, you can also hold shift for block moves. So
that functionality is already there.

In regards to a key, like enter, to "complete" an object I think that's a
great idea. I was just thinking the same thing actually.

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 4:56 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin at rectangular.com>wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> A couple questions from a PD noob:
>
> First, is there any keyboard shortcut to signal "I'm done editing text"?
>  When
> entering text into an object, a message, etc, it seems that the only way to
> signal that you are finished is a mouse click outside of the item being
> edited.  I'd like to press a key -- <ESC>, <TAB>, <ENTER>, whatever -- and
> have the focus leave the text box.
>
> Second, is there any keyboard shortcut to "nudge" an element?  It would be
> great to select an object (or a group of objects), then press <LEFT_ARROW>
> move it one pixel, or <CONTROL/COMMAND><LEFT_ARROW> to move it 10 pixels
> (or N
> pixels).
>
> If such things are not possible, I'm curious what other mechanisms people
> have
> come up with to streamline the editing process, because it feels like I'm
> having to touch the mouse waaaaaaay too often and it's slowing me down.  It
> seems I'm not the only person to have made such observations:
>
>    http://artengine.ca/~catalogue-pd/18-Lee-Bouchard.pdf
>
>    One obvious shortcoming is that users are required to constantly switch
>    between keyboard and mouse to operate the program. This becomes
> especially
>    problematic in the context where patches are developed rapidly.
>
> I'm using PD Vanilla, built from the latest sources.  I'm an experienced
> open
> source developer, fluent in C and learning Tcl, so suggestings that involve
> hacking the source are welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marvin Humphrey

Richie