[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 07:59:09 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----

It's been forked-- four times (AFAIK).  Nova, DesireData, Pd-extended, and
Pd-l2ork.  Two of those forks-- Nova and DesireData-- had explicitly
stated goals which basically boiled down to being more responsive to
the Pd community (in addition to many other things).

I believe the author of Nova moved on to developing parallelism for
Supercollider, which will probably become a core part of Supercollider
well before any revision of his 7-year old tooltip patch ever gets included
in Pd Vanilla.  So as a perfect example of your theory, yes-- Pd gets
forked, and/or people move on to other things!

Pd-extended and Pd-l2ork are extant.  There there has
been some effort to lessen the number of core differences between
Vanilla and Pd-extended.

> But it's also generally true that large, boil-the-ocean patches are costly
> review, especially for stable projects with large user bases, and so
> contributors are well-advised to bear that in mind and prepare small,
> easily-digested morsels when possible.
>
>>  Additionally, if they are big, desirable improvements to the Pd community
>>  they may find their way into Pd-extended anyway.
>
> So long as contributions to Vanilla are integrated into Pd-extended in a way
> that adheres to the provisions of Vanilla's BSD license, then there's no
> problem. :)

The three clauses of the BSD license used by Pd Vanilla are compatible with both
the GPL v2 & v3

-Jonathan