[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 28 07:38:54 CEST 2011

Le 2011-09-27 à 21:35:00, Marvin Humphrey a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 01:59:20PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>   Enter for accepting changes made in a box's text and exit that mode ;
[…]
> However, it's also the most invasive modification.  If anyone is accustomed to
> being able to produce a newline with Enter while editing text into Message or
> Comment boxes, they will have to change their habits.

There is nearly no habit of producing a newline inside of a box, because
there is no way to save newlines in pd.

>>   Escape for cancelling those changes and exit that mode too ;
> Good idea -- that's consistent with Mac GUI design for closing dialog boxes
> without making changes.  I like it!

Also compatible with DOS shortcuts (Any QuickBASIC or TurboPASCAL users ?
;)

> Is that also consistent with the traditional behavior of Escape under
> Windows and X?

Yes... for most X toolkits, I think.

>>   Shift-Enter to insert a literal newline in a box's text (currently
>>   meaningless because they get replaced by Space by the loader/saver) ;
>
> Newlines seem to be normalized to Spaces for Pd Objects, but that
> doesn't seem to be the case for either Messages or Comments.

Try reloading your patch... or even Copy+Paste or Duplicate. Newlines get
normalised to spaces all of the time, except pd enforces an optional
newline after a semicolon. (that is, the newline is not necessary
for correct pd syntax, but it gets printed in the box like that
anyway... but only after a reload or equivalent).

> Using Shift-Enter for newlines doesn't seem like a very intuitive design to
> me.

It's already used in Skype, but I'm pretty sure that I implemented it
before I ever saw Skype, and I'm sure that I copied it from one or several
other apps, but I don't remember which ones.

> I suspect that a significant fraction of the people who want newlines
> will never discover the magic key combo.

Those who do discover it will also discover what the patch saver does to
their newlines. But I planned this thing with a future patch saver in
mind.

>>   Those shortcuts don't necessarily apply to the main Edit Mode... I don't
>>   recall whether we bound Enter to « switch to text edition ».
>
> Your English is 100x better than my French, but I assume that when you wrote
> "edition", you meant "editing"?

Perhaps, but I don't know the difference.

> So, if I understand correctly, you are suggesting that these key bindings
> would only take effect while actively editing the text of an Object, Message,
> or Comment.  If that's the case, +1 -- I agree.

Yes, that's it.