[PD] pd-extended license WAS: Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Sep 28 16:35:08 CEST 2011

Wow, I guess I was wrong about this being off topic.  It seems people
have a lot of questions about this.

In the case of a GPL project including a BSD code, there is not a
separate license.  Only the copyright holder can change the license.
It is just that the BSD license allows you to add additional
restrictions.  The GPL adds one restriction: whenever you give someone
the software, you have to also give them the source code.

So if you were going to include Pd-extended in your OS as a whole, you
have to treat all the code as GPLv3.  list-abs is a library included
in Pd-extended.  It is released under a BSD license.  If you download
list-abs by itself and package that, then it is not Pd-extended.  So
its BSD.

.hc

On Sep 28, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Ludwig Maes wrote:

> If source code and binaries can have seperate licences, what about
> object files or intermediate representations in the compiler (GIMPLE
> etc)?
>
> On 28 September 2011 15:10, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> wrote:
>
> On Sep 28, 2011, at 1:47 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:
>
> Hi Hans,
>

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 05:32:14PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>
> On Sep 27, 2011, at 4:53 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
> Le 2011-09-27 à 16:41:00, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>
> No one is talking about relicensing.  BSD, MIT, Tcl, LGPL, etc. are
> compatible with GPLv3, that means you can include code with those
> licenses into a GPLv3 project and that is allowed.  Then the whole
> project is GPLv3.
>
> You mean that the whole project is GPLv3-compatible, or that it is
> GPLv3 ?
>
> If it is the latter, then when do the GPLv3's obligations ever apply
> to me when I do whatever with Pd-extended ?
>

> I think you need to read up on how licenses work, its a bit off topic
> here.  But yes, Pd-extended is GPLv3 as a whole.
>
> What I mean to say is that I don't have the time right know to
> explain the details of how licensing works in regards to Pd-
> extended.  But there are many sources of that information.
>
> IANAL but I think Mathieu is correct. Software licenses apply to
> specific source code and binaries. I think you need to distinctly
> specify that the parts you have contributed (e.g. those patches in
> your git branch that you apply to Vanilla BSD as well as whatever
> TCL code you have added, as well as any externals you have written
> that aren't already licensed) are GPLv3.
>

> Hm, wait a second. Maybe the pd-extended binary can be licensed
> GPLv3 which might be what you mean.
>

> That is what I mean.  I also mean that if you use Pd-extended as a
> whole, then it is GPLv3.  The Pd-extended source code includes all
> of the licenses files of the included subprojects, fulfilling the
> requirements of BSD, MIT, etc.
>
> .hc

> "Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools, but
> with live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris McCormick

"We have nothing to fear from love and commitment." - New York Senator
Diane Savino, trying to convince the NY Senate to pass a gay marriage
bill