[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 19:37:45 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----

Something I was thinking about for the future is a way to model keyboard input
after the efficiency of 'vi' input.  When in "Edit mode" without yet editing the text
of an object, one could use "h", "j", "k", and "l" to move the bounding box
selection around in the patch.  Then bind "/" to duplicate ctrl-f, and you have a
quick way to get around the entire patch without leaving home position.  (Maybe
also bind "i" to enter text-editing mode, and "a" to enter text editing mode
at the end of the object's text.) Then when in text editing mode or "Run mode", turn
off these bindings.

The tricky part is figuring out the most efficient way to make/edit connections.  There is
already "auto-connect" behavior for leftmost xlets-- there needs to be a way to make
a new connection, remove a connection, move a connection, and possibly make
many-to-many connections like [select 0 1 2 3 4] with each outlet going to a new message
box.

DesireData has a way to edit connections with the keyboard but I found it takes too many
keystrokes.

-Jonathan

> I haven't seen anyone object to Matthieu's suggested behaviors for
> <enter> and
> <esc>, which are consistent with both behavior and general OS gui
> conventions,
> so I think we may have achieved consensus there.
>
> What's left is the basically irrelevant issue of how to insert a newline
> that's going to be turned into a space later anyway.  My inclination is to
> supply a patch which simply does not support the insertion of newlines.  If
> that results in user confusion and support inquiries, a binding for
> <modifier><return> can be added later.

That will result in user confusion, because when a message box with
semicolons gets instantiated it doesn't automatically get newlines added
until you save the patch and reopen it, while object boxes add the newlines
after instantiation.  Currently the discrepancy can be hidden by always
adding the newlines yourself with enter.