[PD] ALSA routing

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Tue Oct 4 14:57:08 CEST 2011

Hi Brian,

I use to do this a lot, specially when trying out reactive video patches.
Unfortunately, it's not straight forward but basically you need to load a
alsa-jack module.

You could try this, open a terminal and:

~$ qjackctl &
[1] 2530
~$ Suspending PulseAudio

~$ pdextended -jack &
[2] 2561
~$ tk scaling is 1.650422352176738

~$ amarok &
~$ pacmd load-module module-jack-sink channels=2;

Now you will see all your ports in the "connection" panel of qjack (the
output of Amarok being "PulseAudio JACK Sink").
Simply make the connection you wish. That should do it.

You can also save this connection setup in qjack using the patchbay, that's
handy.

> This probably has been asked before, but I don't seem to be able to find
> the right keywords to locate any answers on Google.
>
> I am running pd on linux. I have a patch that analyzes sound from an
> on-computer program in realtime, and controls LED lighting based on
> aubio detected beats and so on.
>
> The problem I am having is that jackd disconnects my audio source from
> the PD inputs whenever the audio source is paused or stopped. I am using
> amarok 1.4, but I really like it and would prefer not to have to switch
> to another media player just for that.
>
> The behavior I *want* is that whenever amarok is playing music, the
> music is piped into the ADC on puredata to my analysis patch, but that
> otherwise no user intervention with the background patch is necessary.
>
> The best way I can think to deal with this is to try to find a way to
> connect the final audio output on the sound driver to the ADC.
> Basically, if I were doing it physically to take a cable and connect my
> speaker output to my line input.
>
> Is there a good way to do this with either ALSA or jackd on linux in
> software? Ideally in a way where individual programs can release and
> attach to the output without it disrupting the connection?
>
> Best,
> Brian Neltner
>
> --
Marco Donnarumma
Independent New Media and Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher
ACE, Sound Design MSc by Research (ongoing)
The University of Edinburgh, UK
Portfolio: http://marcodonnarumma.com
Research: http://res.marcodonnarumma.com | http://www.thesaddj.com |
http://www.flxer.net