[PD] Pd-extended 0.43 builds are working again

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 5 07:19:25 CEST 2011

Welcome to testing nightly builds!  It is annoying but it must be
done, otherwise we never have stable builds.  Thanks for
contributing! :-D  I think only zexy is not working currently.  Its
not building right on Windows and Mac OS X 10.5.  Everything else
should work, let me know if otherwise.

.hc

On Oct 5, 2011, at 12:37 AM, Joe Newlin wrote:

> Hans,
>
> I was able to get [declare -path] to work after a little trial and
> error with path name syntax.
>
> Now, I'm curious what I need to do to get the externals in zexy (&
> maybe other libraries - not sure yet) to work at all. For example,
> [date] and [time].
>
> It's frustrating, sometimes, being just a guitar player and not a
> computer programmer.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -Joe
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
> As far as I know, the latency setting in Pd just sets a maximum
> buffer size, it doesn't necessarily translate to actual measured
> latency.  Try a blind test and see if you can tell the difference,
> that'll be a much better test.
>
> As for the search paths, you are much better of not setting them as
> global preferences.  Instead, use the standard install locations for
> installing things globally:
>
> http://puredata.info/docs/faq/how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-
> files
>
> And for paths needed for patches/projects, use [declare -path].
>
> .hc
>
> On Oct 4, 2011, at 12:35 PM, Joe Newlin wrote:
>
>> Okay, I installed the latest version.
>>
>> Good news: Pd-extended and my soundcard are getting along the way
>> they used to. this means setting Pd to 14 ms audio latency which is
>> not great, but I can live with it.
>>
>> Bad news: Pd is not saving the search paths that I add. I can't
>> remember if earlier versions required clicking a "save these
>> settings" kind of thing, but I could find no such option in this
>> version and at any rate it's not saving the paths.
>>
>> Medium news: while I can deal with the 14 ms latency, Pd vanilla
>> was working at around 2 ms (unless it was lying to me or obscuring
>> something - I only tried it with testtone) but I still can't figure
>> out how to get it to load libraries of external dlls. I'm just a
>> guitar player and not a computer programmer so I'm a little slow at
>> this stuff, but if you have a suggestion for this option I would
>> appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks for all your work!
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>>
>> Lets keep this on the pd-list so that others can participate in the
>> discussion :)
>>
>> I think Martin Peach committed a fix for the pdlua_setup error
>> today or last night.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Oct 4, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Marc D. Demers wrote:
>>
>>> Hi .hc,
>>>
>>> I was able to get the installer on Windows 7. I was able to get
>>> rid of all the error message by deleting some line in the «path»
>>> and «startup» windows. Mainly, libs that were no more in the pd
>>> extra folder. The only error message I get for the moment is
>>> concerning the pdlua folder (unable to find the symbol of
> [...]

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on
terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom