[PD] pd-extended license WAS: Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Oct 6 23:58:21 CEST 2011

Le 2011-09-28 à 10:35:00, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :

> In the case of a GPL project including a BSD code, there is not a
> separate license.  Only the copyright holder can change the license. It
> is just that the BSD license allows you to add additional restrictions.
>  The GPL adds one restriction: whenever you give someone the software,
> you have to also give them the source code.

GPL also adds the restriction of not adding any additional restrictions,
and that's a restriction by itself (I'm not saying that it's good or
bad).

It can also be counted as several additional restrictions, depending on
the way one reads it.

> So if you were going to include Pd-extended in your OS as a whole, you
> have to treat all the code as GPLv3.  list-abs is a library included in
> Pd-extended.  It is released under a BSD license.  If you download
> list-abs by itself and package that, then it is not Pd-extended.  So its
> BSD.

If someone includes Pd-extended as a whole in their OS, and modify BSD
externals, while keeping them bundled with the rest of Pd-extended, they
don't have to distribute the source to those modifications, despite your
claim that Pd-extended has a license « as a whole ». That person doesn't
have to take anything apart (debundle) or whatever.

The « as a whole » concept has a more limited applicability than what you
seem to be claiming.