[PD] HELP Please! Pd-0.40.3-extended on Windows 7 with Fireface 400 to get 4 outs

Patrice Colet colet.patrice at free.fr
Sat Oct 8 13:54:16 CEST 2011

> BTW what version of Pd are you running (and you also on windows 7)??

I'm using latest version of pd-extended under vista but last stable should be ok

> > Where do you expect to have 'multiple input/output' ?
>
> In the Media -> audio setup (ASIO)? Maybe I am assuming wrongly

no that's it, you can get multichannels with asio drivers only,
the othere ones are separated pairs

> > if I use FIREFACE asio I can use [dac~ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
> 14 15 16 17 18]
> > and [adc~ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18]
>
> Ok the patch I received for the piece has [dac~ 1 2 3 4]... but I only
>
> get 2 channels of output (I have to use the ADAT for both input and
> output). I also only get 2 outputs when I try the Test Audio and midi

[dac 1 2 3 4] are analog out, adat should be the last eight outputs

> which I see uses separate dacs [dac~ 1] [dac~ 2] etc.
>

> > just make sure that drivers are not already used by windows system,
> because it could make
> > this unstable.
>
> That this include the Fireface 'mixer' thing?

yes, usually it works, but with using [vst~] I have more chance to make it working when windows isn't using RME drivers

> >> I tried some command line switches but to no avail and had to fall
> >> back
> >> to stereo.
> >
> > The only command line I use is about setting -asio -audiobuff
> -audioindev -audiooutdev
> >
> > when starting pd from a batch file, just to be sure to use asio
> fireface with low latency and all input/output
> >
> > but pd would save those settings once it has been applied through pd
> audio dialog.
> >
> >   I have sometimes to use pd -listdev to check out where the hell
> are FIREFACE asio
> > because audio device number are often moving whenever I have other
> drivers enabled or not,
> > but I've heard about some solutions to get/set it from a patch,
> > maybe IOhannes could give some hints about this.
>
> -listdev spit out a list of inputs and outputs in couples (I am
> remembering by memeory) something like:
> ADAT (1+2) Fireface
> etc. in a very strange order.
>
> Again very inprobable I'll manage to have time to hack on the patch
> :(

yes this strange order is a reason why there should be something else to always get the same device
but it's more a job for the devs

> >   Be sure you don't have jackdmp installed because it is conflictual
> with last portaudio release.
> >

> No jack* on that machine
>

> >> I wonder what is the smallest latency I can reliably expect with
> this
> >> setup.
> >
> > The smallest latency I've been able to use with pd is about twice
> the buffer size
> > I could get with any audio interface, something about
> 2*buffersize/samplerate in seconds
> >

> Ok.
> >

> >> Guess I really miss jack (audio) :(
> >>
> >> Lorenzo.

> >> input)
> author).

> >> ASIO
> >
> > How do you see this?
>
> With -listdev and if I open the ASIO or audio settings menu in the
> Media
> menu.

> on
> >
> > Do you have fireface working under linux???????
>
> Nooo!!!! The machine and sound cards are not mine! This is a set-up at
>
> the conservatoire concert hall for the piece I have to do the live
> electronics. I'm using the windows machine as the patch needs two
> [vst~]
>
> But... It looks like there is very experimental support for Fireface
> in
> latest bleeding edge ffado.. Again I don't own and RME so I don't know
>
> what the status is.
>
> Thanks,
> Lorenzo

> such