[PD] pd with syphon

vade doktorp at mac.com
Mon Oct 10 17:46:00 CEST 2011

Hi IOhannes

Fortunately, Syphon does not leverage QTKit (Quicktime = rather evil, and QTKit is a strange beast), it leverages IOSurface (and, IOSurface + IOHannes makes a rather nice pair, no?)

I have taken a look at the GEM sources last night (from https://pd-gem.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pd-gem ) and have begun some very rudimentary work on a syphon.pd_darwin object.

Is there a mailing list or resource I could leverage to ask specific GEM / XCode development questions, or is this list appropriate? I have some GEM internals (the state manager, inlet types and how active texture unit / binding works in an object, what GEM base class seems most appropriate, etc) questions, as well as more basic PD external questions.

I suspect it would take a more seasoned GEM developer only a few minutes to implement a syphon object for GEM, as it really is only a few lines of code.

http://syphon.v002.info/FrameworkDocumentation/

Basically, a SyphonServer object is alloc/initted with a name and a context

You then publish a texture via its glUint texture ID, and specify a region of interest, as well as texture target. Thats it, Syphon handles all IPC, notification and

My reasoning for having someone close to GEM and who does active development be responsible for the syphon / GEM implementation, only to help fix subtle bugs that may arise, and have someone who is active in the community do it. Its also a load off our (Tom and I) shoulders, as we have been doing almost all of the various plugins ourselves (Unity, Jitter, OpenFrameworks, FFGL, Quartz Composer, and much of the Java/JNI stuff).

That said, im happy to get some basics working and have the community step up :)

Thanks.