[PD] Keyboard shortcuts for "nudge", "done editing"

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 11 17:42:45 CEST 2011

Le 2011-10-06 à 16:35:00, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :

> How do I make a connection from [route]'s rejection outlet to [s]?  With the current DesireData
> keyboard system I select [route] and do <ctrl-tab>9 times, then <ctrl-down-array>, then <ctrl-tab>
> 2 times, then Enter.

Well, I didn't really work that much on the keyboard-only interface... so
I quickly forgot this part. Much of what I did was provide a half-working
framework named DesireData to get that project done, and also I coded the
part that does find-the-closest-object-in-that-general-direction.

This is the kind of design that benefits a lot from trying it, so, when
someone develops such a thing, there is a big advantage to already have
the framework for it before starting, and the designing the thing step by
step while trying it on real example patches. That way you'll figure out
every incentive/disincentive to choose one key instead of another one,
etc.

Don't forget keyboard layout issues. Lots of people use a US layout, but
people around me tend to use one of the variants of CF layout, which has a
bunch of different keys, whereas overseas, the DE layout (QWERTZ Germany)
is more different, and the FR layout is even more different (AZERTY where
the digits all need shift). At least all of those layouts have the same
positions of HJKL (and, of course, of arrows).

> Rather than physically clicking a key nine times, I'd like a way to
> specify the xlet number with the number keys, which could cut the number
> of keystrokes in half.  (That's what I'm talking about regarding vi
> efficiency, though it doesn't have to be the exact same key bindings.)

You could also have wrap-around topology, using a keyboard shortcut for
going in the backwards direction. When you try to go left of the leftmost
inlet, you appear to the right.

Wrap-around topology :
   http://www.gamocratie.fr/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Pac-Man.jpg