[PD] 0.43+ gui performance problem

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Oct 16 17:44:41 CEST 2011

Le 2011-10-16 à 17:17:00, Yury Bulka a écrit :

> I think this can be somehow related to the GUI rewrite (fonts? UTF-8
> support?), because Pd-vanilla 0.42.x was running quite well.

It's hard to believe UTF-8 support could be related to that. The new UTF-8
support code in Pd is only used when editing text inside of a box. Anyway,
there's nothing that takes any significant amount of time in handling
UTF-8 in any part of Pd (Tcl has its own UTF-8 decoder) nor outside of it.

Fonts... I can't really imagine them being rendered slowly except if using
a remote display across a not-very-fast network, but that depends on the
renderer and I haven't tried that with Pd+TrueType in particular.

I think that it really has to have a different cause, even if that might
be unlikely to you.

How much CPU does Pd (both halves of it) really use while it's acting
slow ? That could be a big hint either way. In the process list («ps» or
%.