[PD] expr alternative

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Oct 23 19:45:37 CEST 2011

Le 2011-10-24 à 02:27:00, i go bananas a écrit :

> how hard would it be to rewrite the expr code so that it doesn't need to
> be GPL licensed?

The only other implementation of [expr] is [#expr], but that's GPL too.
But it shows that an implementation of [expr] doesn't have to be long and
complicated like the original [expr].

At the moment, [#expr] supports only floats. It was meant to also support
symbols and grids, but that's not implemented yet. Signals are in some way
another business, but nearly all of the same code can be reused.

> or has anyone ever tried contacting the original authors and asking them
> to change the license so it can fit in with pd's standard BSD ??

I don't think anyone here ever wrote to the guy... you could try.

BTW, would LGPL be fine ? To GPL fans, that's easier to accept, yet it
works in contexts where GPL is not acceptable, such as iPhone development.
For example, the gzip codec (libz) is LGPL, yet it's used in several
iPhone activities such as decompressing http streams and png images.