[PD] editing pd silence

martin brinkmann mnb at martin-brinkmann.de
Sun Oct 23 21:54:07 CEST 2011

On 10/23/2011 08:20 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> How much is a lot ? What's the amplitude in the noise ? If it's
> something like 1/65536 of the maximum level, that's not what I'd call
> « a lot »...

it is more. after normalizing i had about 8 different
sample values (including zero) in the file. the (unnormalized) noise
is audible, when the volume is rather high, it is at least 2 times
louder than the "natural" noisefloor of my soundcard/amp/speakers.

...and i have archived all my music as flac using audacity, since 2006.
fortunately i should still have the original 32bit float files
somwhere in my cdr-pile...

it is also explained here:

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Dither

> Personally, I don't understand what's the point of dither in audio.
> Maybe it's just an evil plot to make CD quality sound like 8-track
> cartridges.

bis denn!
	martin