[PD] expr alternative

Bill Gribble grib at billgribble.com
Mon Oct 24 17:49:35 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 15:26 +0100, Andy Farnell wrote:
> The thing about a "nice email", no matter how politely and tactfully
> you pen it, is that such a request can feel quite uncomfortable.
> First it makes the assumption that the programmers choice of licence
> was somehow shallow, maybe even arbitrary. Let's give all programmers
> the benefit of the doubt and assume their intelligence extends to
> proper reflection.

The thing is, a lot of license choices ARE shallow and/or arbitrary.
Some people don't really care that much about license details and just
stick "something free" on there, without really considering if it does
exactly what they want.  I'm sorry that you had trouble handling a
license-exception request, but I have a hard time seeing how a simple
inquiry could be reasonably considered to be imposition on the
developer.

Someone who is looking at the alternative of (1) reimplementing
something because of their license needs vs (2) being able to use (and
possibly contribute back to) an existing piece of code is really being
dumb if they DON'T ask.  If you are choosing to use a license that
retains some control over the use of your program, you have to expect to
be called on to say "No" every so often...

Thanks,
Bill Gribble