[PD] drag n' drop OSX tkdnd ect .... + Gem on 10.5 extended autobuilds

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Oct 24 19:40:39 CEST 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 1:00 PM, m.e.grimm wrote:

>> if you have Fink installed.
>
> i do

Then it should be easy to run the auto-build script to get a full
build of Pd-extended, as long as you have all of the dependencies
installed from Fink.

>> As long as
>> you don't have the Tcl.framework and Tk.framework in /Library/
>> Frameworks, it
>> should use the built-in ones.
>
> These were not there.... should they have been?

If you are on 10.6 or 10.7, then Tcl.framework and Tk.framework using
Tk/Cocoa are included with Mac OS X, so they'll be in /System/Library/
Frameworks.  The build system will look in /Library/Frameworks first,
so to test using the built-in Tk/Cocoa, make sure Tcl.framework and
Tk.framework are not in /Library/Frameworks.

>> For building a Pd-extended without the libraries, get the whole
>> source via
>> rsync, if you don't have it already, then do:
>>
>> cd pd-extended/packages/darwin_app
>> make darwin_app_core
>
> yes. done.
>
>> Then you'll have a barebones Pd-extended in
>> pd-extended/packages/darwin_app/build.
>
> k. built. how do i tell thats it is using Tk/Cocoa?

If you are on 10.6 or 10.7 and there are no Tcl.framework and
Tk.framework in /Library/Frameworks.  Also, you'll probably see a menu
called "Apple" on the menubar, that was a bug previously that probably
has not been fixed.  Or maybe two "Help" menus.

> the app package itself when click says i can not open being "damaged
> or incomplete"
>
> from terminal:
> megrimm-mbp:darwin_app megrimm$
> /Users/megrimm/Desktop/pd-extended/packages/darwin_app/build/
> Pd-0.43.1-extended-20111024.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> Cannot connect to server socket
> jack server is not running or cannot be started
> Pt_Start() called
> Oct 24 12:59:41 megrimm-mbp.local Pd-0.43.1-extended-20111024[5884]
> <Error>: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSRegisterCursorWithImages: Invalid
> hot spot (outside of size)
> Oct 24 12:59:41 megrimm-mbp.local Pd-0.43.1-extended-20111024[5884]
> <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to
> catch errors as they are logged.
>
> that tell you anything?

Try running it like this:

/Users/megrimm/Desktop/pd-extended/packages/darwin_app/build/Pd-0.43.1-
extended-20111024.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd -stderr -d 3

And that will tell us a lot more.

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at
> > wrote:

>>> ok... how might i do this?
>>>
>>> just a quick autogen.sh && ./configure && make from the pd-extended
>>> git repo sees to build ok. is there something i need to alter to
>>> build
>>> "withOUT installing Tcl/Tk"?

>> You could run the whole autobuild, if you have Fink installed.  As
>> long as
>> you don't have the Tcl.framework and Tk.framework in /Library/
>> Frameworks, it
>> should use the built-in ones.
>>
>> For building a Pd-extended without the libraries, get the whole
>> source via
>> rsync, if you don't have it already, then do:
>>
>> cd pd-extended/packages/darwin_app
>> make darwin_app_core
>>
>> Then you'll have a barebones Pd-extended in
>> pd-extended/packages/darwin_app/build.
>>
>> .hc

>>> --
>>> ____________________
>>> m.e.grimm | m.f.a | ed.m.
>>> megrimm at gmail.com | 315.378.2136
>>> _________________________________

>> "A cellphone to me is just an opportunity to be irritated wherever
>> you are."
>> - Linus Torvalds
>>

> --
> m.e.grimm | m.f.a | ed.m.
> megrimm at gmail.com | 315.378.2136

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone."  --Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++)