[PD] [semi-OT]: Licenses [WAS] Re: expr alternative

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 25 16:10:34 CEST 2011

Le 2011-10-25 à 10:17:00, Andy Farnell a écrit :

> The mechanism by which a simple manufacturer of hardware gets to set
> themselves up as arbiters of taste, decency, political correctness, code
> quality, economic models, acceptable use... ... is baffling and
> disturbing.

That's not anything new, BTW. In the 80's, a company took the market by
storm, by being such picky control freaks about their 6502-based platform.
Their name was Nintendo. They didn't have private-key signing, but they
did sue some unauthorised manufacturers, and I don't know what else they
did, but very few ROMs did not bear their « Seal of Quality ».

(The Seal might have been only a North-American thing though, or perhaps a
non-Japan thing... I don't know. Nintendo and related companies sometimes
have had wildly different marketing depending on the continent)