[PD] [semi-OT]: Licenses [WAS] Re: expr alternative

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 25 16:58:19 CEST 2011

Le 2011-10-25 à 15:06:00, Julian Brooks a écrit :

> I for one find all the license talk fascinating.  I'm still smarting
> from Mathieu's response to the question 'what is free software? - answer
> " a set of licenses", from a while back.  Whereas I like to think of it
> as an ethical and political manifesto/code of conduct, he's quite
> correct that yes it is just a bunch of licenses.

It's reductionist to call it just a bunch of licenses, but for certain
aspects, it's all that matters. However, if we're thinking about why those
licenses exist and why people use them, we have to think of people,
manifestoes, and the events that led people to change their minds so that
they would want to write manifestoes and licenses, etc.