[PD] expr alternative

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Oct 25 20:09:20 CEST 2011

Hey Martin,

I haven't heard that before.  Do you have any references on the App
Store being compatible with the LGPL?  I found this write-up on the
topic, it makes sense to me, and outlines basically how the App Store
is incompatible with the FSF copyleft idea, which is definitely
included in this LGPL:

http://michelf.com/weblog/2011/gpl-ios-app-store/

One thing to remember in all this: it is totally legal and clear to
make an GPL/LGPL app for iOS and distribute it outside of the App
Store.  It is the App Store that is the issue.

.hc

On Oct 25, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Martin Roth wrote:

> As far as I know, if expr would be LGPL, then everything is ok, even
> in the App Store. The expr library itself can be used in non-GPL
> code (like Pd). The library source is freely widely available on the
> internet. And otherwise if anyone makes any changes to the expr
> object then those changes should be made public. Done and done.
>
> On 25 October 2011 18:26, Max <abonnements at revolwear.com> wrote:
> Am 25.10.2011 um 19:10 schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:

> GPL? What does that mean for things like the Apple App Store?
> >>
> >> In the end I'm not sure anymore that LGPL would be fine, even
> though it does look like Apple ships with LGPL libs. (Though it's
> not impossible they might have rewritten them just to avoid the
> license...).
> >>
> >> There's too much contradiction between comments about it on the
> web, so, to sort out the subtleties, it would be best to ask the FSF
> about it.
> >>
> >> Well, you could ask Apple too. But I bet that the FSF will give
> more attention to your question.
> >

> > The problems are with software that ships from the Apple App
> Store, due to the way that is managed and the Terms of Service. It
> is the management and terms of service of the App Store that
> conflict with the GPL/LGPL.  Apple ships lots of GPL and LGPL
> software as part of Mac OS X and iOS, but that does not touch the
> Apple App Store, so they can be in complete compliance.
> >
> > So Max, if you are interested in the Apple App Store, I think it
> is incompatible with all FSF licenses, and perhaps all copyleft
> licenses.  The short term answer is to ship your iOS apps outside of
> the App Store, and the real fix is to get Apple to make their App
> Store compatible with copyleft licenses.
>

> The question was asked by the author of expr - maybe I must re-
> phrase: Now that IRCAM is okay with changing their license of parts
> of expr from GPL to LGPL would that solve the issue of expr beeing
> used in the BSD vanilla in applications like for instance RJDJ in
> the Apple App store? (Or respectively any other use scenario where
> the choice of license imposes restrictions) If the answer is yes,
> then Shahrokh can go ahead and change the licence, fixed. If the
> answer is no, then a rewrite of expr to be fully BSD is probably the
> only solution to solve this.
>
> m.
>

> --
> Martin Roth, CTO
>
> Tel : +44 793 241 66 20
> Twitter : @supersg559
>
> Reality Jockey, Ltd.
> 55B Holywell Lane
> EC2A 3PQ
> London, UK

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman