[PD] expr alternative

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 02:51:23 CEST 2011

On 26/10/11 01:29, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> The Apple App Store is incompatible with the GPL and LGPL, from what I
> understand. Getting Apple to make their App Store compatible with the GPL and
> LGPL is another much better solution since it will work for all GPL and LGPL
> software.

this is of course the best solution ... but it seems that Apple is deeply
opposed to GPL and all it represents, they have always been happy to use Open
Source code, and contributed some too, but have stuck to BSD licensed code
where-ever they can, and only used GPL stuff when they had no other choice.

They seem to object to the idea that using open source code should require a
reciprocal release of their own improvements and would rather use the work of
others, but keep their own contributions secret and for their profit only.

This is quite a common attitude, and I assume the reason a lot of companies
prefer BSD code. But I believe that the reason Linux is as strong as it is is
exactly because of its license ... any corporation (or any individual) that
wishes to use Linux legally and distribute their version must do their part and
publish their improvements.

Simon