[PD] expr alternative

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Wed Oct 26 07:20:23 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 08:51:23AM +0800, Simon Wise wrote:
> On 26/10/11 01:29, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> The Apple App Store is incompatible with the GPL and LGPL, from what I
>> understand. Getting Apple to make their App Store compatible with the GPL and
>> LGPL is another much better solution since it will work for all GPL and LGPL
>> software.
>
> this is of course the best solution ...

---->8 snip license advocacy and geopolitical theory 8<----

I would like to register my disagreement.  In my opinion, the solution which
best serves the broad community of users -- including those users for whom
expr's licensing is problematic -- is for Pd Vanilla to have uniform BSD
licensing.  It seems to me that an implementation of expr which is
license-compatible with the rest of Vanilla is a perfectly reasonable and
understandable feature request.

The practical rationale is obvious: if GPL (or potentially LGPL) is not an
option for you, then expr is missing from your toolkit, and it would be nice
to have it.  I understand that there are several valuable contributors within
the Pd community who believe that it is important to deny that feature request
for moral reasons.  There are also opposing moral reasons to grant it, but as
before, I intend to keep my developer list posts on licensing limited to
dry mechanics if possible; if you absolutely cannot live without a sprinkle of
BSD license advocacy to complement the on-list deluge of copyleft license
advocacy, please ask off-list.

Best,

Marvin Humphrey