[PD] OT: Poll: Csounds or SuperCollider or Chuck

yvan volochine yvan.pd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 20:45:22 CEST 2011

>> 1. How do they compare against each other?

I only know a bit csound and am an everyday sc user.
- I find csound oldschool syntax pretty boring but maybe that's just me.
- sc is a killer for realtime dsp.
- sc-list is *extremely* active and helpful.

>> 3. What sort of things can be achieved in these programs that can't be
>> achieved in Pd, if any?

polyphony in pd is a nightmare, you get it for free in sc:

// 128 sine waves with random freq mixed down to stereo:
{ Splay.ar(SinOsc.ar({ExpRand(100, 5e3)} ! 128)) }.play

> Ah, csound works well in all plattforms, last time I checked (some years
> ago) SC only runs best in mac (mainly for graphic elements?), and I
> couldn't get it running in ubuntu.

this is not true anymore (since a couple of years :)
you now have ubuntu packages, and a bunch of very talented linux
developers (some of them might be very familiar to you BTW)
right now, one could say that sc development version works actually
better on linux =)
(downside for sc is the lack of win devs)

also, you might have a look (and listen) there to have an idea about sc
power (this is close to some recent threads on this list, about writing
compositions with the less number of objects possible. here sc oneliners
limited to 140 characters):
http://supercollider.sourceforge.net/sc140/

(advertising-mode off) best is of course to try them all and see for
yourself !

my 0.02£..

cheers,
_y