[PD] OT: Poll: Csounds or SuperCollider or Chuck

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Oct 26 23:57:29 CEST 2011

On Oct 26, 2011, at 5:19 PM, yvan volochine wrote:

>>> polyphony in pd is a nightmare, you get it for free in sc:
>>>
>>> // 128 sine waves with random freq mixed down to stereo:
>>> { Splay.ar(SinOsc.ar({ExpRand(100, 5e3)} ! 128)) }.play
>>
>> Have you tried nqpoly4, polypoly, or the 'many' lib? It is quite
>> easy to
>> do polyphony with any of them.
>
> yeah I know those libs/abstractions, and it can get very tricky too
> see what's happening within patches using nqpoly4 & co, not very
> noob friendly.
>
> while I admit those are very clever, it's far more complicated than
> sc multi-channel expansion ( -> just give any method argument an
> array and you get the corresponding number of audio|control
> channels, nice and easy, without dynamic-patching-voodoo =).
>
> no flaming here, I'm just trying to point out the different approach
> (IMHO anyway).

Its true, that is the downside of everything having a physical
representation, i.e. each instance has its object box.  But I think
that its possible to make it really easy in Pd.  That's the goal of
the 'many' lib.  I'd love feedback on what you thought was hard with
the 'many' lib.

"[T]he greatest purveyor of violence in the world today [is] my own
government." - Martin Luther King, Jr.