[PD] expr alternative

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 10:04:37 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 17:04 -0200, Ricardo Fabbri wrote:
> 1) if you want someone to change their licensing, at least be willing
> to offer them some cash. basically, you buy the new licensing. this
> part is not free! I would go as far as saying it's unpolite to ask to
> switch a license without offering money.

What makes you think that it's more polite to offer money than offering
cooking spaghetti with pesto sauce for all his/her friends or helping
code something in another project?
IMHO, one major advantage of being involved in open source software
development is the freedom to contribute what I want, when I want, how
much I want etc. and as long as there is no money involved it is easy to
keep that freedom untouched.
In a similar manner an author is free to change the licensing of their
software whenever they want to whatever they want. Probably, this
decision for a certain license was done carefully or rather in a
light-headed manner. Either way, I'm  not clear whether offering money
is the (morally) right incentive to re-think that decision. One could
even argue that it is corrupting the initial ideal of the original
decision.
When you say "basically, you buy the new licensing" this sounds to me
very much like business lingo about commercial software and also like
you were applying economic concepts of commercial software to open
source software. To me it's not obvious that in order to get a different
license you have to pay money for it.

Roman