[PD] OT: Poll: Csounds or SuperCollider or Chuck

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Sun Oct 30 16:27:38 CET 2011

I started with Csound as first software based system (on my 486 systems
back then mostly in non realtime), then PD came around, both in Windows,
some years Max/MSP on Mac because I couldnt stand Windows anymore and
then back to PD and Csound on Linux. Supercollider never worked for me
although the newer, Smalltalk like syntax looks interesting. I am also a
software developer so the text based approach was natural.
In Csound I love the huge amount of DSP modules -I think, due to its
age, it got the biggest collection of modules, here called opcodes- and
sound quality. Recently I started to use Csound in realtime as looping
machine and realtime synthesizer on stage and PD for graphics.
Csound can also do simple user interfaces with buttons and sliders and
has persistence. Some ideas are faster to realize with a textbased
system instead of graphically patching and are also easier to read and
debug.

Different tools yields different results.

--
----
media art + development