[PD] OT: Poll: Csounds or SuperCollider or Chuck

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Oct 30 17:09:36 CET 2011

Le 2011-10-26 à 12:38:00, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :

> Not too long ago matju wrote about the possibility that one could make
> GF objects that are basically "clones" of signal objects that work on
> grids, and that at the bottom of your object chain you'd have a GF
> object that outputs a signal (or signals).  This was in response to a
> query about how to expand a patch to have more channels without using
> clunky dynamic patching.  But I would guess that same approach could be
> used to make polyphony easier, couldn't it?

That's a vector-based approach in which the order of the innermost loops
are exchanged : instead of having each object process one channel each and
a big loop going through all the objects, you have a loop through the
channels that is inside a loop over the samples (instants).

I wish Pd's DSP had that kind of multichannel support, but in terms of
existing infrastructure, GF goes farther in that direction, even though it
doesn't provide harly any equivalents of ~-objects beyond [+~] [*~]
[matrix~] and such... that is, no filters that assume each grid is a
block that continues the previous block.