[PD] expr alternative

Georg Bosch kram at stillavailable.com
Sun Oct 30 22:40:16 CET 2011

Am 24.10.2011 um 11:55 schrieb Andy Farnell:

>> carefully made moral decision simply for your convenience?<<
>>
>> I thought it would be ok to ask at least?  Would it really be that
>> bad?
>
> Sure. I can only tell you my own experience of that. Would you care
> to hear why
> it's bad? based on personal experience I'll explain what I think.

I usually stay away from discussions like this, but I strongly
disagree here. IMHO asking is always ok.

My experience, both asking and being asked, is this: if you release
something, you have to deal with licensing, and though some aspects of
it are interesting, its a nuisance to deal with generally. I want to
do fun stuff with code, not wade through legal terms. What could be
better than just asking the person who wrote the code 'hey, is it ok
if i use it for this and that' and an actual human being replies? The
chance to bypass all legalese and just ask the creator is certainly a
nice feature of the internet.

Ironically, these things were - in contrast to bananas initial
question - mostly related to apple (i.e. pd code for rjdj scenes). And
while I am certainly not amused by apples current lock-in policies &
business practices, the experience of being able to talk directly with
the author for me far outweighs having licenses fighting each other,
even if its for the better of mankind or the economy.

If you have strong moral or political ideas behind your licensing
choice, I don't see a problem when the are - literally - questioned:
stand by them or question them yourself, it's your choice. And I had a
hard time following Andy's Southpark and Drug dealer analogies - even
though I read a whole book he wrote ;)

Cheers,

Georg