[PD] expr alternative

i go bananas hard.off at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 16:20:33 CET 2011

also, i think i am going to get slapped around the face again for this,

but how impossible would it be to get IRCAM to grant a BSD license for the
certain section of code used in [expr] ?

i know people here are going to disagree, and yes, i can see your point,
but look at this:

"jMax is a new implementation of the MAX software written originally by
Miller Puckette at Ircam."

surely that means something???

i still think a license tweak is going to be a much more feasible option
than having the [expr] code re-written

maybe i should just drop this?  as i said in an offshoot thread, there's no
personal benefit here for me here.  I just use pd on my own computer at
home right now, so even if i want to sample the entire metallica back
catalogue and set it to copyrighted videos of madonna, no one is going to
care.  However, i just know from my experience doing an iPhone app 2,
nearly 3 years ago, that if i could have used [expr~] it would have been a
lot smoother.
A unified license, at least for vanilla PD seems like the way to go
though.  I know [expr~] is an external, and from what people are saying
about float handling and whatnot, it sounds like it should stay that way;
but it has been part of the standard pd distribution for over 10 years now,
and it just seems like it'd all be cooler if it were one package, one
license.