[PD] OT: Poll: Csounds or SuperCollider or Chuck

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Mon Oct 31 22:10:24 CET 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 2:45 PM, yvan volochine <yvan.pd at gmail.com> wrote:

>  1. How do they compare against each other?
>>>

> I only know a bit csound and am an everyday sc user.
> - I find csound oldschool syntax pretty boring but maybe that's just me.

I find SC syntax pretty ugly, so I guess it is all a matter of taste.

> - sc is a killer for realtime dsp.

So is CSound, no?

> - sc-list is *extremely* active and helpful.

polyphony in pd is a nightmare, you get it for free in sc:

> // 128 sine waves with random freq mixed down to stereo:
> { Splay.ar(SinOsc.ar({ExpRand(**100, 5e3)} ! 128)) }.play

You get it for free in CSOund.

> (advertising-mode off) best is of course to try them all and see for
> yourself !

I agree. And to add to the choices, I suggest you all take a look at
http://code.google.com/p/pyo/
You program it in python so its syntax is prettier than CS and SC and
modules are coded in C so it is fast.

 Cheers,

./MiS