[PD] OT: Poll: Csounds or SuperCollider or Chuck

yvan volochine yvan.pd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 11:16:23 CET 2011

On 11/01/2011 04:23 AM, Jean-Michel Dumas wrote:
> It's great to see pyo make an appearance in this discussion. For
> completion's sake, here's the "128 sine waves with random freq mixed down
> to stereo" example written in pyo. I find it much more readable than either
> SC or cSound, but that's only a matter of taste i guess.
>
> Sine([random.uniform(20,20000) for i in range(128)]).mix(2)

indeed, pyo looks really cool, kudos ;)

a couple of remarks with your example though.
my sc example description was not 100% accurate:
the random freqs have exponential distribution (ExpRand) and Splay does
the stereo mix down but with a level compensation (equal power) so you
don't blow up your ears/pa like in the above pyo example :p

also, running this pyo line uses 25% of my Core Duo 1.83 while sc
example uses 15% (and I'm not running excellent Tim Blechmann's
multicore-aware sound server supernova, just default scsynth)

BTW, (getting a bit OT here) I have some questions about pyo.
is there a way to use double precision ?

$ >>> from pyo import *
$ pyo version 0.5.0 (uses single precision)

for the Server to boot properly, I have to start jackd, then
Server().boot() gives me an Error with PortAudio incorrect channels
number (???), stop jackd, and then Server boots fine..
it seems also that it segfaults easily.. no time right now but I'll make
more tests some time...

cheers,
_y

yvan.volochine at gmail.com