[PD] New versions of pd-l2ork now available on git

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Nov 2 23:11:48 CET 2011

On Oct 31, 2011, at 7:44 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

>> It looks like it'll take overnight to download all of the pd-l2ork-dev tarballs.
>> So should be able to have this done tomorrow.  You still up for swapping
>> this in as your git repo?
>>
>> .hc
>
> Will I have complete control over it? In other words, I need to be made into an admin for it. If that is ok with you I am perfectly fine with making it the main repo. As an alternative, we could always mirror ours with this one...

Ok, here it is, the full history of pd-l2ork:

https://github.com/pd-projects/pd-l2ork

You can clone it, then edit .git/config so that the origin points to:
 git at github.com:pd-l2ork/pd.git

Then force push it to overwrite what is up there now:
  git push -f origin master

I saw your git-commit script, I highly recommend avoiding that approach, indeed avoiding "git commit -am" all together.  I find it saves a lot of time in the long run by only committing files manually, then checking the commit with "git diff" before committing.

Try "git gui" instead, it makes it really easy to select which files to commit, in fact you can even easily commit sections of a file while keeping some parts of the file uncommitted. gitk is an invaluable history browser tool (apt-get install gitk git-gui).

Git is a powerful tool, but it is not easy to learn.  I recommend reading up on it whenever you have a chance.  It'll pay for itself in a big way later on in terms of increased productivity.  Here are two free books I learned from:

http://progit.org/book/
http://book.git-scm.com/