[PD] Interruption of audio / Loading sound into array

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Nov 3 20:52:54 CET 2011

On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Le 2011-11-03 à 15:32:00, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>
>> Threading is not the only way to do concurrency.  Think of all of those objects in your patch, they are all running in parallel.  And you had to do nothing to make sure that they run in parallel, don't block each other, sync up, etc.
>
> Are you talking about Pd ?
>
> (you surely are not)

It is only recently that threads started to run at actually the same time, and that is still not a guaranteed thing.  So yes, we experience apps running "at the same time" but for the most part, there is a lot of time slicing involved, just like Pd.  There is only one arm on the hard disk heads still, for example.