[PD] how to capture window-related mouse-events when toxy is discontinued?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 10:23:49 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 3:46 AM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Oh, wow-- lines, polygons, and text of scalars get deleted and recreated every time they
> get moved.  This is what gets sent to the GUI for every motion event when dragging a
> scalar (in run mode here):
>
> .x291cf70.c delete curve291f238
> .x291cf70.c delete curve291f238
> .x291cf70.c create polygon\
> 217 175\
> 227 175\
> 227 185\
> 217 185\
> -width 1.000000\
> -fill #ff0000 -outline #000000\
> -tags curve291f238
> .x291cf70.c create line\
> 172 130\
> 272 130\
> 272 230\
> 172 230\
> 172 130\
> -width 1.000000\
> -fill #000000\
> -tags curve291f238
>
> I imagine if this were changed to tag the entire scalar and move it by tag,
> it would improve the performance quite a bit.

Possibly the idea behind the polygons was more to manipulate (or
visually represent) the character of sound by altering a polygon's
shape. See help browser >> 4.data.structures/07.sequencer.pd. Then it
is obvious that a polygon must be redrawn everytime. In my view,
changing shapes is much more imaginative than dragging fixed shapes
around. But in live performance, it is easier to hit a 50*50 pix
square on a touch screen and drag it around, than trying to pick a
polygon's minuscule corner with a mouse.

Katja