[PD] Interruption of audio / Loading sound into array

Pierre-Olivier Boulant po.boulant at free.fr
Fri Nov 4 12:45:23 CET 2011

Hi,

This seems to have been debated several times. It's one of those
recurring subjects.
If I had only one wish for Pd it would be to have a non blocking/low
priority [soundfiler] alternative.

I have the same trouble as mentioned. I have no graph for the tables,
it's not a GUI issue. I thought the problem would go away with a faster
disk, I switched from a rather fast laptop HDD to an SSD. No luck, not
even the slightest improvement. The problem does seem to go away with a
speedier CPU even-though the processor is not under a real strain from
the rest of the patch. The bottle neck here is CPU crunching speed. This
would mean for me either changing computer or changing my sound card for
just little drop outs or switch to Live and M4L. :(
already a lot loaded and I don't want the restriction of only playing
with predetermined stuff.

I had to increase Pd's latency to 300ms to get rid of this on a Core2duo
1.6GHz processor and split the different files into short mono files
which restrict the number of elements in each sound bank I'm loading. As
this patch is a random sample player running in auto it's not so
important if there is some latency, I'm more concerned with the length
restriction.
More bugging is the MIDI latency that follows the sound latency. It
really makes things awkward because you have to either be very slow and
patient when moving the controls (it can break the MIDI connexion with
looping even if I patched something that tries to prevent that) or split
the MIDI subpatch into a separate patch and have net-send/receive on
both sides.

Most people loading stuff for sample players already handle the
restricted access to the tables being loaded. As long as something
happens at the end of the loading (output of the file length) it's ok,
we know when loading starts and finishes.

Sorry if I sound raunchy. It's one hassle I have with Pd and my coding
knowledge being what it is I can't do more than rant. :)

Cheers
Pierre-Olivier