[PD] symbol2list leading zero

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Nov 4 15:38:32 CET 2011

Le 2011-11-04 à 08:56:00, Roman Haefeli a écrit :

> You said "(as it is like with any string-splitter outside of pd/max)". I
> should have said it more precisely: It doesn't make sense to compare
> Pd/Max with anything outside of Pd/Max regarding string-splitting,
> because 'just' splitting symbols (without the implicit conversion to
> float for number-like symbols) is not very practical in the Pd/World.

How do you know that it isn't practical to have numeric symbols when
splitting ?

If I read /etc/passwd (list of users on Linux&OSX) and I split at colons
and commas to get phone numbers, do you think I want Pd's help at rounding
a phone number from 383.3801 to 383.38 when converting (aller-retour) from
symbol to float to symbol, because it had too many significant digits for
Pd's taste ?

So, just call me at 383.38 because it's more practical than dialling
383.3801 ! ;)