[PD] how to capture window-related mouse-events when toxy is discontinued?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Nov 10 01:13:31 CET 2011

Le 2011-11-09 à 21:57:00, katja a écrit :

> How many geos doesn't seem to matter much. A 'Gem gui object' could for
> example be a draggable geo with a texture, or a set of 5 geo's moving
> together when dragged. The cpu load caused by dragging is the same in
> both cases.

It's like that whenever the textures are already uploaded (and are not
being reuploaded) and that there's a GPU that does nearly all of the work.
In that case, all the CPU has to do is run the Pd/GEM objects, and when
pix objects are idle, all that GEM does it tell the GPU what to do, so
it's really fast, even when it's repetitive.

But with certain «light» kinds of GPU, the work is split between the CPU
and GPU (I don't know whether there are still new devices like that, but
my 2005 laptop was like that and I only got a new one this year).

> A demo patch 'WaveRefinery.pd' is there (login, post #5), with animated
> pictogram buttons, toggles and xy-controls in a Gem window. It gives a
> nice impression of possibilities.

When you try dragging a circle or square from its edge, it does not
work (the click detection does not work, seems to be using a
different radius). If you click inside, then the shape jumps so as to
become centered, which is not what I'd expect.

But it does seem like a quite good patch.