[PD] Natty SPDIF samplerate 44.1k / 48k problem (OSS)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 13:57:33 CET 2011

Hi Ingo

On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 13:10 +0100, Ingo wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I need some help about sample rate settings.
>
> I would like to use my SPDIF Out with Pd. Unfortunately it looks like either
> the soundcard or the audio system (OSS) starts up with 48,000 Hz while Pd is
> set to use 44,100 Hz (that's necessary because of the samples being at
> 44.1k).
>
> Does anybody know where or how I can set the PCM sample rate to match Pd's
> sample rate?
>
> None of the soundcard mixers I was checking have an option to set the sample
> rate and I don't know where the OSS files are located.

I don't know about your soundcard, but many (cheap) soundcards only
support 48kHz. You probably won't notice it with ALSA, since ALSA is
capable of resampling the sound before pushing it to the card, but if
you really are using old-school OSS, I think  there is no way to
resample.

Just in case, you're sound card really only supports 48kHz, would
resampling your audio files be an option? At least then you have some
control over the resampling quality.

Roman