[PD] Natty SPDIF samplerate 44.1k / 48k problem (OSS)

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Thu Nov 10 17:34:12 CET 2011

> > On 2011-11-10 13:10, Ingo wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I need some help about sample rate settings.
> >
> > I would like to use my SPDIF Out with Pd. Unfortunately it looks like
> either
> > the soundcard or the audio system (OSS) starts up with 48,000 Hz while
> Pd is
> > set to use 44,100 Hz (that's necessary because of the samples being at
> > 44.1k).
>
> i was going to say: you can change the samplerate of Pd to 48kHz using
> the Media->Audio menu. it will magically shorten each sample from
> (1/44.1)ms to (1/48)ms, so you don't need to worry about that.
>
> but then, maybe you meant your soundfiles?
>
> fgamsdr
> IOhannes

Yep, I was talking about the soundfiles. It's a sample player synth.
Changing the samplerate of Pd will detune all instruments.

The funny thing is that my older mainboard simply accepted the sample rate
from Pd. The new one doesn't. So it looks like it needs to be set up before
Pd gets started. This has to be stored within a file somewhere.
I've read somewhere that OSS defaults to 48k. So it might actually be the
absence of a configuration file which makes it a bit more difficult to find.

Analogue outs work normally. Although I suspect there is resampling going on
inside the soundcard. It's a realtek. They tend to do stuff like that.

Ingo