[PD] Natty SPDIF samplerate 44.1k / 48k problem (OSS)

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Nov 11 14:04:50 CET 2011

On 11/11/2011 01:18 AM, tim vets wrote:

> it was just a thought, I can imagine if you would have based some
> sophisticated sample playback on a whole bunch of tabplay~'s or readsf~'s,
> that maybe you wouldn't want or have time to change all that...
> I checked [switch~] again and indeed you can enter 0.5 to downsample by
> factor 2, does that mean you could enter 0.91875000000000007 to downsample
> from 48 to 44.1?

no.
you can only enter power-of-2 numbers, e.g. 4, 2, 1, 0.5, 0.25, 0.125

in my other mail i mentioned that it is hard to do "proper" resampling,
i meant that it is hard to do resampling without getting hearable artefacts.

the 2nd thing that prohibits resampling by an arbitrary amount (as
opposed to the power-of-2 resampling that is already there) is, that Pd
is not really multi-rate capable.
it's obviously quite trivial to reblock a 64 sample block into 128
samples (you just emit a block every other input block), but things get
a bit hairy when you want to reblock to 77 while caring for speed.

fmgasdr
IOhannes