[PD] Dynamic object creation in relation to canvas dimensions

Stephen Lucas s9lucas at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 08:27:17 CET 2011

This may have come up before, but I didn't see a clear answer to this on
searches.

I've been doing more work involving the dynamic creation of abstractions
numbering greater than 1000; these involve using [soundfiler], so I've been
putting [del 1] between each creation message. This may be extraneous, but
I'm attempting to reduce errors in loading (I doubt this is causing the
problem, but it may be related). My typical MO in dynamic object creation
recently is to treat Y canvas position as product of abstraction register,
which usually is a multiplication by enough for them not to overlap in the
Y dimension with the automatic line break (depending on how many line
breaks I expect pd to make).

I've experienced some anomalies with dynamically creating objects into this
much Y space, which at something like maybe 50000 pixels, I'm getting some
sort of wraparound, which oddly enough, is wrapping back to 25000 or so
pixels. After the wraparound point, there is no randomness.

Is there a maximum canvas size and does dynamic object creation beyond
those limits have a predictable ramification? Is there some kludge to
prevent this? Has anyone experimented with some way of consolidating
character number / line break length / canvas size into something cohesive
for working with this issue?

Thanks for any input,
-Stephen