[PD] Interruption of audio / Loading sound into array

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Nov 15 03:33:29 CET 2011

Le 2011-11-14 à 14:46:00, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :

> Ok.  It's hard for me to differentiate that from breadth-first, probably
> because I have a hard time reading the linetraverser c code (or any c
> code really) and figuring out from it what the rules are for ordering
> the signal objects in the DSP graph.

I haven't really read that code either... well, at least not the d_ugen.c
code, that contains dsp_add and such.

But just think that for the DSP, the order of some things don't matter, as
long as when summing inputs in a buffer, the first one to do it does a
plain assignment, and the other ones do a +=, and running the code does
not happen before all the inputs have been added together.

So, in the DSP, things can't happen in a plain breadth-first manner, and
they can't happen in a plain depth-first manner either, but they can
happen if you modify those manners to prevent running the code until all
the inputs are ready. In that model, it doesn't matter much whether you
are running a modified depth-first or a modified breadth-first, as long as
it's modified to run each perform() function at most once per block. And
there are many other ways to traverse the patch in a way that would be
correct, and would be neither like depth-first, nor like breadth-first.