[PD] Dynamic object creation in relation to canvas dimensions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Nov 15 03:45:41 CET 2011

Le 2011-11-13 à 01:27:00, Stephen Lucas a écrit :

> I've experienced some anomalies with dynamically creating objects into
> this much Y space, which at something like maybe 50000 pixels, I'm
> getting some sort of wraparound, which oddly enough, is wrapping back to
> 25000 or so pixels. After the wraparound point, there is no randomness.

Is it possible that it is after 32767 pixels, that it wraps around at
-32768 pixels ?

> Is there a maximum canvas size and does dynamic object creation beyond
> those limits have a predictable ramification?

AFAIK, each Tk widget has an associated X11 Window (under Linux), and each
X11 Window has a size limit of 65536 pixels wide or high, and an offset
limit of ±32768 pixels up/down/left/right relative to the top-left corner
of the parent.

Without looking at the Tk source, I would conjecture that it does the same
thing as X11 does, even on other platforms, for the simple reason that X11
was Tk's original display platform.

Is that right ?