[PD] gdb and Pd WAS: testtone comments

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Nov 16 16:46:46 CET 2011

Le 2011-11-16 à 09:46:00, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :

> To this end, I recently did some work on the Pd-extended build system to
> make sure that everything gets built with -g -fno-omit-frame-pointer.

Compiling with -fno-inline is quite important too.

> With those two, I have found that you can get good info while still
> having the (other) optimizations in.  Debugging with the optimizations
> is also important since that's how most people actually use pd.

It's also that otherwise, the debugging can become really slow, and in
some case, breaking the realtime constraints also means the app starts
doing other frames.

IMHO, I found that it's better to do the choice of -O per C file, instead
of assuming that changing whole-project settings is fine. For example, if
you have some modules that do heavy number crunching and rarely have bugs,
make sure it always gets compiled with -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer etc., and
then maybe you can compile the rest of the app/lib with -fno-inline
-fno-omit-frame-pointer and maybe it would give faster execution *and*
better debugging than trying uniform settings that eat half of the
backtrace in inlining.