[PD] pd-gui update rate

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 21:10:12 CET 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-18 at 18:53 +0100, András Murányi wrote:
> Lame question: Would user-settable GUI refresh rate help with speed
> problems or with audio dropouts that some people experience? Or do these
> depend on the amount of data transmitted and not on the update frequency?

I _think_ this depends on the kind of GUI element. If you send thousand
messages per second to a slider, then it would probably help. But you
can limit the rate already now, so I personally don't think that a fixed
refresh rate would urgently be necessary.

I think arrays can be quite a hog since not only for every pixel you see
a message from pd to pd-gui was sent, but for every sample. This can be
quite a lot of messages when you change significant chunks of an array.
However, a fixed GUI refresh rate wouldn't help with this.

Roman